Tuesday, September 5, 2023

So I haven't put anything up for a long while but I took a two week plus trip that was kinda interesting so here's my report.  I left Sunday 3 weeks ago headed to a HS class reunion ('68) and also to give my HS sports scrapbook to Watertown HS and my college sports scrapbook to Black Hills State University.  I left Sunday hoping the traffic would be light going through Atlanta but it was still slow.  Two days later I'm in Watertown staying at Mike & Sharmell Murphy's house.  Mike has been, and still is, a construction foreman in Watertown after being both the main quarterback and shortstop for Watertown and Black Hills back 50 years ago.  Mike I've known since 6th grade, Sharmell 3rd grade.

As I had some free time before the reunion,

--I talked to Christy Lickei at Coddington County Historical Society who was also interested in the scrapbook if WHS didn't want it.  I've known Christy for a number of years ever since she wanted info on our family business, Club 20, as she was helping Jane Miner do research for her book about Lake Kampeska.

--Saw the principal at WHS, whom Mike had told me was the niece of our HS and college football coach Gene Schlekaway.  Obviously, she was interested and we made plans to get the scrapbook to her after the reunion.

--Mike and I had dinner Wednesday night with his two sisters Cathy and Jan

--Went up to Fargo Thursday to take my daughter, Asiya, to dinner.

--Both days of the reunion (Fri & Sat) went well BUT when we got home Sat night Mike got a phone call that his sister Cathy had been taken to the hospital.  When he got down there he called back and said she had passed away from some problem with her heart.

Monday I dropped the scrapbook at the HS and took off for Spearfish and BH, a 6 hour drive.  As I got into town....

--Stopped first at Schlekaway's house.  Norma and Gene were just getting back from shopping.  Gene had turned 90 since I last saw them and the years were catching up on him.  Norma looked better.

--Took the other scrapbook to the Archives Dept. at the BHSU Library.  They seemed happy to have it.

--Dropped in to Tim and Kathy Gusso's house.  Tim was from Florence, a tiny town NW of Watertown and we managed to talk him into coming and playing Legion Baseball with us as well as then going to BH  as part of the almost all Watertown infield.  Tim also played basketball at BH (at 5'6") then coached Spearfish's HS team for many years.  Tim's basketball and Kathy's brains (Math Major) rubbed off on a couple of their daughters as one is head girl's coach at Nebraska and the other's got the head job at Minn. St at Mankato.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment