Wednesday, June 26, 2024

THYROID

Fortunately,  this adventure has more than one trail or this would be a very short book.  Now it does have a main trail and that's my thyroid cancer but it does have others that I'll acquaint you with as we go along but let's start with the main one.  I was 54 years old and Sundays I'd walk a couple hrous with two doctors and a conservative who thought he was God's gift to Guam.  I was with one of the docs when I said "What is it that when I yawn it clicks?"  Dr. Tom felt my throat and then said  "Maybe you ought to com down to the clinic today."  Now I know what you're thinking.  What doctor works in an open clinic on Sunday?  But he did and I was there finding out that I had something on my thyroid gland.  Obviously, a biopsy was in order but my body has always been rather difficult to work with (case in point: push-ups) and I took this one and three others with all of them coming back Can Not Determine. It was at this time that my new epidemiologist  (he took the third one)"If it keeps coming back (my click) its cancer."  


So finally in 2006 I had my thyroid out with the biopsy done in the middle of the operation strongly indicating that there was, indeed, cancer.  This was all done to the satisfaction on the good people of St. Luke's Hospital in Manila,PI.  I was there about a week.  Missed my kids terribly with the highlight being shaving my face with the dullest razor they could find in the whole hospital.                                  ;

No comments:

Post a Comment